Saturday, May 16, 2009

Nursing Home: Got Milk?

The following is an illustration of just how witty (or literal) children can be:

This afternoon we were having a little family "pow-wow" to discuss our options (all two of them) as to where to eat lunch (Mexican or Chinese). Trying to ease the tension that was building up inside me with our lack of choices -- good choices, that is -- I suggested that we go to a nursing home and eat at the cafeteria there.

Caleb objected, saying: "No, they will just have milk!"

I do not think I will ever be able to visit a nursing home again without seeing in my mind's eye the image that Caleb's objection invokes. There they are, sitting in the lobby, the cafeteria, the hallway, in the privates of their own room . . . playing dominoes or cards, crocheting, knitting, falling in love with Bob Barker while watching reruns of the Price is Right. Typical scene, I know, except for the fact that, along with the oxygen tank that sits beside them, they are all hooked up to a breast pump. . .

This scenario is not out of the realm of possibilities -- so I have been told. There is a herb (fenugreek seed) that when ingested can cause one to lactate -- grown men, even! In fact, tribal tradition
in some remote areas of South America requires a father to assume the responsibility of breastfeeding in the event that something happens to the mother. And when the father is unavailable, then the next in line assumes the role -- that is, grandpa.

Lactating men? It does seem to expand on what it means to provide for one's family -- a little too literal, perhaps. Regardless, the movement does seem to be gaining ground a bit.

Just some food for thought --

(A preemptive disclosure: I have not taken, nor do I have any intention of taking, fenugreek seed supplements. Nor am I an employee of a manufacturer of the herb.)

1 comment: