Thursday, November 12, 2009

No Talking Allowed

This morning I decided to break from my normal routine and study at home. Not long after, Caleb entered asking if he could do his math in the office with me. Absolutely - Then entered Cayanna, who was wondering the same thing. Unlike Caleb who has studied with me before, this would be Cayanna's first. Wanting to preempt any distractions that may arise, a ground rule was set.

"Alright, there will be NO talking while in the office! Total quiet, silence -- that is all!" I instructed.

They both agreed, and went quickly about their work.

Several minutes later, April entered the office to check her email, which led to a discussion about the housing market and our options once our lease expires.

Obviously distracted and somewhat annoyed, Cayanna interrupted, saying, "No talking in the room; it is making me frustrated!"

Needless to say, we took our discussion to the other room so as to not further disrupt and "frustrate" the learning environment. It is times like this when I am encouraged that the huge investment of time, energy and resources that April makes daily is taking root! Nicely done, Sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment